Help Students Connect their Education and Career Goals
Mayor’s Youth Jobs+ is partnering with San Francisco high schools to provide students with work-based learning opportunities. Work-based learning is an innovative approach that integrates rigorous academics with career-based learning and real-world experiences. It ignites students’ passion and helps them understand how education shapes their career path. Volunteer today to help young students learn about your career and be inspired to become future leaders!
Types of Volunteer Opportunities
- Classroom Guest Speakers: Visit classrooms to teach students firsthand about vital topics from interviewing and resume creation, to industry-specific career skills. (Time commitment: 1-2 hours)
- Job Shadow: A Job Shadow experience introduces students to the workplace and the career opportunities available to them. Students find out what it is like to be in a specific profession, this helps the student to choose the college program (higher education/training) and subsequently the profession that they would like to pursue. (Time commitment: 3-5 hours)
- Career Exposure Tours: Open the doors of your workplace to our students. Let students see firsthand what work looks like in the real world. (Time commitment: 4-5 hours)
- Mentor a Student: Mentor a student to help them understand the day-to-day responsibilities required for a career in your field. (2 hours a week | 5 weeks)
- Informational Interview: Help young people learn more about your career and industry by participating in an informational interview. Young people will get to ask you questions about what it’s like to be an employed professional and start building your candidate pool for future hires.
- Service Learning Projects: Support service learning activities by participating with them in meaningful community service projects that enriches the learning experience while also teaching civic responsibility.
- Resume Review and Mock Interviews: Give young job seekers an edge on their next interview by participating in resume review and mock interview activities.
Become a Volunteer
If you are interested in volunteer activities to support young people, please complete our interest form.
For other volunteer opportunities, please check out United Way’s Volunteer Calendar!