Community Field Specialist
Job Title: Community Field Specialist
Program Name: Community-Based STD Services
Location: San Francisco, CA
Position Status: Full Time, Non-Exempt, Temporary
Rate: $21.55 per hour
Travel Required: <50%
Reports to: Program Coordinator
Opening Date: April 3, 2017
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Public Health Foundation Enterprises (PHFE) invites applications for the full-time position of Community Field Specialist. Community Based STD Services is a program of the Community Health Equity & Promotion (CHE&P) and Disease Prevention and Control Branches of the San Francisco Department of Public Health.
Under the supervision of the Community-based STD Program Coordinator, the Community Field Specialist is responsible for increasing STD/HIV screening among gay and bisexual men; conducting street and venue-based outreach, conducting workshops for community-based programs; conducting STD screening in non-traditional clinic settings and providing sexual health information and referrals at events and health fairs.
This is a full time (40 hours/week) grant-funded and benefitted position.
Employment is provided by PHFE.
• Serve as the liaison for the Community Health Equity & Promotion and Disease Prevention & Control Branches with assigned sex related male-only venues that target gay and bisexual men, such as adult bookstores and bars/clubs
• Conduct street and venue based outreach activities for persons at high risk of STDs.
• Perform STD screening which includes performing rectal and pharyngeal cultures for gonorrhea and chlamydia testing, and handling specimens for syphilis and HIV testing in community based settings such as sex clubs, bars, gyms and health fairs
• Must be able work early evenings, some late nights and some weekends in all weather conditions
• Must be flexible, due to monthly community events
• Conduct STD presentations for community based organizations as well as the general public
• Assist in the development of culturally appropriate outreach materials for gay and bisexual men
• Perform activities per established protocols and procedures; attend meetings and trainings
• Coordinate Branch participation in street fairs, and other community events
• Must be familiar with Castro, Tenderloin and South of Market areas of San Francisco
• Document client interactions and perform computer data entry
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. and comfortable walking several blocks during shift
• Perform other related duties as assigned
• Two (2) years of verifiable experience, gained within the last five (5) years, working with a culturally diverse gay/bisexual population providing HIV/STD outreach, information, education, and/or referral services; advising/counseling clients and participating in health promotion and health education activities
• Experience providing STD/HIV risk reduction counseling, intervention and referral services
Other Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
• California licensed phlebotomist is desirable
• Bilingual Spanish/English is highly desirable
• Photoshop is highly desirable
• Knowledge of STD and HIV and medical terminology
• Willingness to work in all weather conditions
• Ability to operate a computer and are proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite software including Microsoft Word and Excel
• Must be willing to work with diverse ethnic groups and individuals of diverse sexual orientations, sexual interests, gender identities, youth and adults.
• Must be comfortable speaking to individuals and groups about sexual health issues.
• Must be willing to be trained in sample collection related to STD/HIV testing.
• Must be willing to be trained in phlebotomy (drawing blood).
• Must be willing to be cross-trained to help address other health issues, including but not limited to nutrition, healthy retail, smoking cessation and heart disease
• Must have ability to walk several blocks for a couple of hours at a time
• Ability to work early evenings, some late nights and some weekends in all weather conditions,
• Must be available to attend monthly branch meetings as well as other meetings as assigned.
Handling / Fingering Frequently
Reach Outward Frequently
Reach Above Shoulder Occasionally
Climb, Crawl, Kneel, Bend Occasionally
Lift / Carry Frequently – Up to 50 lbs
Push/Pull Occasionally – Up to 50 lbs
Taste/ Smell Not Applicable
Not Applicable Not required for essential functions
Occasionally (0 – 2 hrs/day)
Frequently (2 – 5 hrs/day)
Constantly (5+ hrs/day)
General office settings including the City Clinic, outdoors and Community-based venues.
Interested individuals must submit a resume and cover letter for consideration.
Apply at: https://www.appone.com/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=1538569
All qualified applicants will be considered for this position in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
PHFE is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer that encourages minorities, women, veterans, and disabled to apply.